Makes 4 servings (1/4 squash per serving)
For the Squash
- 1 medium acorn squash
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- ¼ cup orange juice
For the Stuffing
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. finely minced red onion
- ½ cup uncooked quinoa (red or white)
- Zest of an orange
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable stock
- 3 Tbsp. crumbled feta cheese
- 2 Tbsp. dried cranberries
- 2 Tbsp. chopped pecans or almonds
For the Dressing
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 3 Tbsp. orange juice
- 1 tsp. honey (or agave, maple syrup)
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- ⅙ tsp. salt
- ⅙ tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. finely chopped flat leaf parsley
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Cut acorn squash in half lengthways & scoop out seeds and pulp (save seeds to roast for a delicious snack). Cut a small sliver of skin from the outside of the squash so it will lay flat on the baking tray when the cut side is up.
- Brush cut sides of squash with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Pour half of the orange juice into each side of the squash cavity. Place in the oven on a parchment-lined baking tray and roast until soft (45 to 60 minutes).
- While the squash is cooking, prepare the stuffing. Add olive oil to a small pot. Add the red onion and sauté until translucent.
- Add quinoa and orange zest to the pot and stir to coat the quinoa.
- Add the stock and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Lower the temperature to medium-low and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat, place in a bowl and allow to cool for 20 minutes or so.
- While quinoa is cooling, whisk together all dressing ingredients.
- To the slightly cooled quinoa, add feta cheese, cranberries, nuts and dressing. Stir gently to combine.
- Remove the squash from the oven, fill each side with half of the warm quinoa stuffing and serve one per two individuals as a side. Enjoy!
Nutritional analysis per serving: 270 calories, 11.8 g fat, 6.7 g protein, 36.6 g carbohydrate (32.1 g available carbohydrate), 4.5 g fibre, 506 mg sodium
My Viva Servings: 2 grain, 0 protein, 0 vegetable, 0 fruit, 2 fat, 0 dairy