Makes 6 servings (1 1/2 cups per serving)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb. stewing beef (or leftover roast beef), cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1 can (796 mL) crushed tomatoes
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 4 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped parsley
- 1 tsp Montreal Steak Seasoning
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- ¼ tsp dried thyme
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- Salt, to taste
- ½ cup uncooked barley
- Heat oil in a medium frypan over medium-high heat. Working in batches, sear beef until browned evenly (skip this step if using leftover roast beef). Remove from heat and transfer meat to slow cooker.
- Add potatoes, celery, onion, carrots, crushed tomatoes, garlic, beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, herbs and spices to slow cooker. Stir to combine. Cook on low for 8 hours.
- An hour before serving, add barley to slow cooker. Cook on high until barley is tender.
- Serve and enjoy!
*Meal prep tip: make ahead of time and freeze for up to three months.
Nutritional analysis per serving: 301 calories, 9 g fat, 22 g protein, 37 g carbohydrate (30 g available carbohydrate), 7 g fibre, 465 mg sodium
My Viva Plan® Servings: 2 grains, 3 proteins, 2 vegetables, 1 fat