Makes 6 servings (1 1/2 cups per serving)
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 lb. stew meat (or leftover roast beef), chopped
- 2 potatoes, cubed and peeled
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1 (28 oz.) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cup low-sodium beef broth
- 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tbsp. parsley
- 1 tsp. Montreal Steak Seasoning
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. basil
- ¼ tsp. thyme
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- Salt, to taste
- ½ cup uncooked barley
- If using stew meat, brown meat in oil over the stovetop, and then place in slow cooker. If using chopped leftover roast beef, place straight in slow cooker.
- Add vegetables, canned tomatoes, garlic, beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, herbs and spices to slow cooker. Cook on low for 8 hours.
- An hour before serving, add in barley and allow to cook until tender on high.
- Serve and enjoy!
*Meal prep tip: make ahead of time and freeze for up to three months.
Nutritional analysis per serving: 301 calories, 8.5 g fat, 21.7 g protein, 37.1 g carbohydrate (29.6 g available carbohydrate), 7.5 g fibre, 465 mg sodium
My Viva Servings: 1 grain, 3 protein, 2 vegetable, 0 fruit, 1 fat, 0 dairy