Makes 4 servings (1 1/2 cups per serving)
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 (15 oz.) cans black beans
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 4 cups sliced mushrooms
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb. lean ground beef or veggie ground round
- 1 ½ tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tbsp. ground cumin
- Dash of pepper and salt
- 2 cups sodium-free chicken broth
- 2 (15 oz.) cans diced tomatoes with jalapeños
- 1 bunch kale (about 7 large leaves with inner rib removed), chopped
- Rinse and drain the cans of black beans.
- In a large Dutch oven on the stove top, heat up oil over medium heat. Sauté chopped onion, bell pepper, mushrooms, garlic and ground meat for about 10 minutes or until the meat is no longer pink.
- Stir in chili powder, ground cumin, pepper and salt.
- Stir in drained beans, chicken broth, diced tomatoes and kale. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat then reduce heat to low. Let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Serve with desired toppings like shredded cheese, avocado, sliced jalapeno peppers and cilantro.
Nutritional analysis per serving (without toppings): 286 calories, 9.5 g fat, 21 g protein, 31.5 g carbohydrate (20.5 g available carbohydrate), 11 g fibre, 904 mg sodium
My Viva Servings (without toppings): 1 grain, 2 protein, 3 vegetable, 0 fruit, 1 fat, 0 dairy