Makes 8 servings (1 1/2 cups per serving)
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1½ cups thinly sliced cabbage
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 can (156 mL) tomato paste
- 9 cups low sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup diced yellow potato
- 1½ cups grated beets
- 1 tsp cider vinegar
- ½ tsp granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp fresh chopped dill
- 1 can (540 mL) kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- Plain Greek yogurt, for garnish
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add onions, carrots and celery. Cook until slightly softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add cabbage and garlic and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes.
- Add salt, pepper, bay leaf, tomato paste, broth, potato and beets.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add vinegar, sugar, dill and beans and simmer until heated through, about 2 – 3 minutes.
- Add a dollop of Greek yogurt and a sprig of dill for garnish.
- Serve and enjoy!
Nutritional analysis per serving: 141 calories, 2 g fat, 6 g protein, 26 g carbohydrate (20 g available carbohydrate), 6 g fibre, 257 mg sodium
My Viva Plan® Servings: 1 grain, 1 protein, 1 vegetable