Makes 6 servings (1 cup per serving)
- 1 tsp. peanut oil
- ½ cup onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tbsp. fresh ginger, minced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, minced
- 1 cup water
- 1 (28 oz.) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (12 oz.) can light beer or non-alcoholic beer
- ¼ cup unsalted, dry-roasted peanuts OR 2 Tbsp. powdered peanut butter (PB2)
- 3 cups turkey, cooked, skinned and chopped
- ½ cup light coconut milk
- ½ cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- ½ cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- Cilantro sprigs for garnish
- Heat peanut oil in a Dutch oven on the stove over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; sauté 2 minutes. Add ginger and jalapeño; sauté 30 seconds. Stir in water, tomatoes, and beer; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 20 minutes.
- Place peanuts in a coffee grinder or food processor and pulse until finely ground. Add ground peanuts, turkey, and coconut milk to pan, stirring to combine. Increase heat up to medium.
- Bring mixture to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in parsley, cilantro, lime juice, salt, and black pepper. Garnish with cilantro sprigs, if desired. Serve and enjoy!
*Meal prep tip: Make ahead of time and freeze for up to three months. Day of: garnish with fresh cilantro.
Traditional Vatapa is made with dried shrimp. We swapped out the shrimp with turkey and kept the ground peanuts and staple flavours. One cup of dried shrimp provides approximately 700 mg of sodium and 240 mg of cholesterol, compared to 1 cup of turkey breast which provides only 73 mg sodium and 116 mg cholesterol, making it a much friendlier, heart-healthy option. The turkey also provides over 20 g more protein than the shrimp. Making simple substitutions such as this can completely change the nutritional value of your favorite dish, while keeping all the great flavours.
Nutritional analysis per serving: 272 calories, 13.8 g fat, 23.5 g protein, 12.1 g carbohydrate (9.2 g available carbohydrate), 2.9 g fiber, 317 mg sodium
My Viva Servings: 0 grain, 3 protein, 1 vegetable, 0 dairy, 0 fruit, 0 fat