Makes 6 servings (1 1/2 cups per serving)
- 1 Tbsp. canola oil
- 3 chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp. ginger, minced
- 1 Tbsp. turmeric
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 Tbsp. thyme
- 1 Tbsp. rosemary
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 1 cup barley
- ½ cup frozen peas
- Heat oil in a pot on medium-high heat.
- Add chicken and cook for 8 minutes.
- Add onions and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add the carrots, celery, garlic, ginger, turmeric and continue to cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the stock, thyme, rosemary, and pepper. Bring to a boil and cook until the carrots and celery begin to get soft.
- Add the barley and cook for 10 minutes.
- Pour in the peas, cover and remove from heat. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
Nutritional analysis per serving: 282 calories, 7 g fat, 30 g protein, 24 g carbohydrate (19 g available carbohydrate), 5 g fibre, 250 mg sodium
My Viva Servings: 1 grain, 4 protein, 1 vegetable, 0 fruit, 0 fat, 0 dairy