Makes 6 servings (1 1/2 cups per serving)
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup diced celery
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 tbsp minced fresh ginger
- 1 tbsp ground turmeric
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tbsp dried thyme
- 1 tbsp dried rosemary
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 cup pearl barley
- ½ cup frozen peas
- Heat oil in a pot over medium-high heat.
- Add chicken and cook for 8 minutes.
- Add onions and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add carrots, celery, garlic, ginger and turmeric. Cook until vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add broth, thyme, rosemary and pepper. Bring to a boil and cook until the carrots and celery are almost tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add barley and cook until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add peas. Cover and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
Nutritional analysis per serving: 282 calories, 7 g fat, 30 g protein, 24 g carbohydrate (19 g available carbohydrate), 5 g fibre, 250 mg sodium
My Viva Plan® Servings: 1 grain, 4 proteins, 1 vegetable