Makes 5 servings (2 cups per serving)
- 1 lb. ground chicken
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 Tbsp. sesame oil, divided
- 1 long eggplant
- 2 medium zucchinis
- 1 red bell pepper
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- ½ Tbsp. ginger, minced
- 2 Tbsp. raw honey
- 3 Tbsp. low-sodium soy sauce
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tsp. corn starch
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- In a medium bowl, mix together ground chicken with red pepper flakes, salt and pepper.
- Heat 1 Tbsp. sesame oil over medium heat in a non-stick pan or cast iron skillet. Add ground chicken. Brown meat, breaking up with spatula, and stirring every minute or so. Remove from heat when chicken is cooked through.
- While meat is cooking, chop eggplant, zucchini and red bell pepper into small, evenly sized pieces.
- In a separate pan or wok, heat the remaining 1 Tbsp. of sesame oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic and ginger to release their fragrance and essential oils.
- Shortly after adding garlic and ginger, add chopped vegetables and sauté, stirring to cook evenly. Add a few tablespoons of water if the bottom of the pan seems in danger of drying out and burning the vegetables. Cook for about 10 minutes.
- Add the browned chicken meat and honey to the sauteed vegetables. Stir.
- In a small bowl, combine soy sauce, water, and cornstarch. Pour mixture over stir-fry and cook for another minute to thicken sauce.
- Once the sauce has thickened, stir in green onions, reserving a small amount for garnish.
- Portion into five servings and garnish with remaining green onions. Enjoy!
*Meal prep tip: make ahead and freeze for up to 3 months. To re-heat, thaw to room temperature, then microwave until hot.
Nutritional analysis per serving: 254 calories, 8.4 g fat, 25.2 g protein, 20.2 g carbohydrate (15.1 g available carbohydrate), 5.1 g fiber, 395 mg sodium.
My Viva Servings: 0 grain, 3 protein, 3 vegetable, 0 fruit, 1 fat, 0 dairy