Chicken Pasta with Pesto
Makes 6 servings (2 cups per serving)
For the Pasta
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 cup chopped cauliflower
- 2 cups chopped zucchini
- 2 cups sliced cremini mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped bell pepper
- 2 tsp olive oil, divided
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ½ cup diced onion
- 1½ lb (680 g) boneless skinless chicken breast, diced
- 3 cups cooked penne pasta (about 1¼ cups uncooked)
For the Pesto
- 2 cups packed arugula
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 cloves garlic
- ¾ cup unsalted roasted cashews
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a large bowl, combine broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, mushrooms and bell pepper. Add 1 tsp olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Stir to coat vegetables evenly.
- Transfer vegetables to a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Bake until tender and lightly browned, about 15 – 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining 1 tsp olive oil in a large frypan over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 3 – 4 minutes.
- Add chicken and cook, stirring frequently, until cooked through, about 5 – 7 minutes. Remove from heat and cover to keep warm.
- Add all pesto ingredients to the bowl of a food processor (or a high-powered blender). Blend until smooth.
- In a large bowl, combine chicken and onion mixture, roasted vegetables and pesto. Stir to coat evenly.
- Serve over ½ cup of cooked pasta per portion for a balanced meal. Enjoy!
*Meal prep tip: double the pesto recipe and freeze extra portions for up to 3 months.
Nutritional analysis per serving: 389 calories, 14 g fat, 34 g protein, 32 g carbohydrate (26 g available carbohydrate), 6 g fibre, 337 mg sodium
My Viva Servings: 1 grain, 4 proteins, 3 vegetables, 1 fat