Serves 20 (1 muffin per serving)
- 1¼ cups whole wheat flour
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup hemp hearts
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 1 cup vanilla Greek yogurt
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 tbsp grated orange zest
- 1 tsp grated lemon zest
- ½ cup olive oil
- 6 tbsp orange juice
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- Hemp hearts, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a muffin tin with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, combine the flours, hemp hearts, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk until combined.
- In a medium bowl, combine the maple syrup, yogurt, eggs, vanilla, orange zest, lemon zest, olive oil, orange juice and lemon juice and whisk together until smooth. Pour the mixture into the dry ingredients and mix with a whisk and/or rubber spatula until fully combined (don’t over-mix the batter).
- Divide the batter evenly among the muffin tins, filling each muffin cup no more than ¾ full. Sprinkle each muffin with the extra hemp hearts and bake until the edges are golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 20-25 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool before serving. These freeze well in a sealed container or plastic bag for up to 1 month.
Did you know? Although hemp hearts are higher in fat, over 80% of this fat is omega-3 fatty acids, which support cognitive function, heart, skin and hair health.
Nutritional analysis per serving: 152 calories, 8 g fat, 4 g protein, 17 g carbohydrate (16 g available carbohydrate), 1 g fibre, 128 mg sodium
My Viva Plan® Servings: 1 grain, 1 fat