Dark Chocolate Almond Biscotti
Serves 30 (1 piece per serving)
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1¼ cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 10 tbsp (1¼ sticks) unsalted butter, melted
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp almond extract
- 1 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 4 squares dark chocolate (40 g)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine sugar, melted butter, eggs, vanilla and almond extract. Add flour mixture and stir with a wooden spoon until well combined. Fold in almonds and stir to combine.
- Divide the dough in half. Shape each piece of dough into a log measuring 13 inches long x 3 inches wide x 1½ inches thick. Transfer both logs to the prepared baking sheet, spacing about 2 inches apart. (They will not expand very much during baking, so it is okay if the logs are close to the edge of the baking sheet.)
- Bake until golden brown, about 30 minutes. Allow to cool completely on baking sheet set on a wire rack, about 30 minutes. Keep your oven on.
- Carefully transfer cooled logs to a cutting board. Using a serrated knife, cut logs into 1/2-inch-wide slices (about 15 slices per log). Arrange slices cut side down on the same baking sheet. Bake for 12 minutes. Turn the biscotti over and continue baking until lightly browned, about 10 – 12 minutes. Transfer the biscotti to a wire rack and cool. They will harden slightly as they cool.
- Once cooled, melt 4 squares of good quality dark chocolate (we recommend Lindt 70% dark chocolate) in a double boiler. Alternatively, melt chocolate in a stainless-steel bowl set over a pot of simmering water.
- Using a spoon, drizzle dark chocolate over the cooled biscotti and let stand until chocolate has set.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week. May be frozen for up to 3 months.
Nutritional analysis per serving: 153 calories, 8 g fat, 3 g protein, 18 g carbohydrate (17 g available carbohydrate), 1 g fibre, 76 mg sodium
My Viva Plan® Servings: 1 grain, 1 fat
Although this delicious biscotti can easily fit into your meal plan (please see the My Viva Servings above), we understand that you may also want to enjoy it as a treat, which are servings above and beyond your meal plan. Treats are just as the name suggests; they are a treat for you and meant to be enjoyed mindfully. We want most of your calories to come from nutrient-dense foods that nourish and support your body. Treats can be added in addition to your meal plan for the enjoyment and balance of life.