Makes 8 servings (2 Tbsp. per serving)
- 1 cup pitted, chopped Medjool Dates
- Juice of one lemon
- ½ cup water
- ½ tsp. ground cardamom
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- ½ tsp. grated fresh ginger
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp. ground cloves
- Combine all ingredients in a small pot and bring to a simmer over medium heat stirring often. Depending on the freshness of the dates, you may need to add more water to achieve the desired consistency.
- Let simmer for 10 minutes or until the dates have broken down and the mixture has reduced to a paste-like consistency. Should yield about 1 cup of date butter.
- Allow to cool and store in the refrigerator.
- Use as a spread on toast, grilled cheese or panini sandwiches. Or, as a topping for oatmeal or muesli. You can even use it as a base for a vinaigrette for a salad.
Nutritional analysis per serving: 55 calories, 0 g fat, 1 g protein, 15 g carbohydrate (15 g available carbohydrate), 2 g fibre, 1 mg sodium
My Viva Servings: 0 grain, 0 protein, 0 vegetable, 1 fruit, 0 fat, 0 dairy