Makes 8 servings (2 tbsp per serving)
- 1 cup chopped dried Medjool Dates
- Juice of one lemon
- ½ cup water
- ½ tsp ground cardamom
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp grated fresh ginger
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- Combine all ingredients in a small pot and bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring often. Depending on the freshness of the dates, you may need to add more water to achieve desired consistency.
- Let simmer for 10 minutes or until the dates have broken down and the mixture has reduced to a paste-like consistency. Should yield about 1 cup of date butter.
- Allow to cool and store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- Use as a spread on toast, grilled cheese or panini sandwiches or as a topping for oatmeal or muesli. You can even use it as a base for a vinaigrette for a salad.
Nutritional analysis per serving: 55 calories, 1 g protein, 15 g carbohydrate (15 g available carbohydrate), 2 g fibre, 1 mg sodium
My Viva Plan® Servings: 1 fruit