French Toast with Apple Blueberry Compote
Makes 4 servings (2 pieces per serving)
Apple Blueberry Compote
- 1 Granny Smith apple, cored and chopped
- 1 tbsp orange juice
- ½ cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 large egg
- ¾ cup milk
- ½ tsp vanilla
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tsp butter, divided
- 8 slices whole wheat bread, divided
Apple Blueberry Compote:
- Combine apples and orange juice in a pot over medium heat. Bring to a simmer and cook until apples are soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add blueberries and continue cooking for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Whisk together egg whites, egg, milk, vanilla and salt in a medium bowl.
- Melt 1 tsp butter in a pan over medium-high heat.
- Dip 4 slices bread into the egg mixture, turning to coat both sides.
- Place bread in pan and cook for 3 – 5 minutes per side or until golden brown. Repeat with remaining bread slices. Transfer to serving plates.
- Drizzle compote over French toast and sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Serve and Enjoy!
Nutritional analysis per serving: 232 calories, 6 g fat, 12 g protein, 34 g carbohydrate (29 g available carbohydrate), 5 g fibre, 342 mg sodium
My Viva Plan® Servings: 2 grains, 1 protein, 1 fat