Makes 6 servings (1 pita per serving)
- ⅓ cup red onion, diced
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 3 Tbsp. plain Greek yogurt
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 ½ tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- ½ tsp. coriander
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1.5 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Pita and Fillings:
- 6” x 6” pita bread
- 3 cups romaine lettuce, chopped
- 3 cups Roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 large cucumber, diced
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 2 Tbsp. feta cheese
- 2 Tbsp. freshly chopped cilantro
- Kalamata olives, sliced (optional)
- In a mixing bowl, mix together red onion, lemon juice, Greek yogurt, olive oil, red wine vinegar, garlic, oregano, thyme, coriander and freshly ground black pepper to make the marinade.
- Place chicken breasts in a gallon Ziploc bag. Pour marinade over chicken, seal bag while pressing out excess air and transfer to refrigerator to marinate 2-4 hours. Remove chicken during the last 30 minutes of marinating to rest at room temperature before grilling (leave in marinade).
- Bake or grill chicken until cooked through (internal temperature should reach 165°F), rotating once halfway through cooking. If cooking in the oven, bake for around 25 minutes at 400°F. Broil lightly for the last 5 minutes to slightly char chicken.
- Transfer cooked chicken to plate and brush lightly with olive oil. Cover with foil and allow to rest 10 minutes. Dice into strips.
- Divide chicken and toppings into 6 portions. Layer chicken in a row along center of a warmed pita and top with lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, red onion, feta cheese, cilantro, kalamata olives and tzatziki sauce. Wrap and serve. Enjoy any leftover chopped vegetables on the side.
*Meal prep tip: you can cook the chicken ahead of time and freeze for up to 3 months. To re-heat, simple thaw and microwave until hot. Don’t build the rest of the gyros until the day of consumption.
Nutritional analysis per serving: 370 calories, 9.4 g fat, 33.7 g protein, 39.6 g carbohydrate (34 g available carbohydrate), 5.6 g fiber, 390 mg sodium.
My Viva Servings: 2 grains, 4 protein, 3 vegetable, 0 fruit, 1 fat, 0 dairy