Makes 10 servings (½ cup per serving)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 3 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ancho chili powder
- ¾ tsp cinnamon
- Pinch ground cloves
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 tbsp natural peanut butter
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 3 tbsp chopped dark chocolate
- 1 can (398 mL) whole plum tomatoes
- 2 cups water
- Heat oil in large pot over high heat.
- Add onions and cook until starting to brown, about 5 – 8 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium and add garlic, chili powder, ancho chili powder, cinnamon, cloves, and salt. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add peanut butter, cocoa powder, brown sugar, chocolate, tomatoes and water. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly. Purée sauce in batches in a blender or a food processor until smooth.
- Serve over turkey enchiladas or over your favourite protein and enjoy!
Nutritional analysis per serving: 103 calories, 6 g fat, 3 g protein, 10 g carbohydrate (7 g available carbohydrate), 3 g fibre, 138 mg sodium
My Viva Servings: 1 vegetable, 1 fat