Makes 6 servings (1 cake per serving)
- ⅔ cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 ripe bananas
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 2 tbsp butter
- ½ cup chopped good quality dark chocolate
- 6 pieces dark chocolate (about 1 tsp each)
- powdered sugar to garnish (optional)
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In another medium bowl mash bananas. Add sugar, eggs and vanilla and whisk well until mixture is frothy. Set aside.
- Combine butter and chopped chocolate in a glass bowl. Set bowl over saucepan of simmering water. Do not allow water to touch bowl. Stir mixture until chocolate is almost fully melted. Remove from heat.
- Slowly pour melted chocolate mixture into egg mixture, whisking constantly. Gently fold in flour mixture. Pour into 6 greased ramekins.
- Place 1 tsp chocolate into the centre of the batter in each ramekin, gently pressing chocolate so that it is fully immersed in the batter.
- Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and allow the cakes to sit at room temperature for 15 minutes before baking. Bake for 13 minutes.
- Run a knife around the sides of the cakes to loosen them. Carefully invert ramekins onto serving plates to remove cakes and sprinkle with powdered sugar if desired.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
Nutritional analysis per serving: 351 calories, 15 g fat, 9 g protein, 53 g carbohydrate (47 g available carbohydrate), 6 g fibre, 266 mg sodium
My Viva Servings: Treats are just as the name suggests; they are a treat for you and meant to be enjoyed mindfully. We want most of your calories to come from nutrient-dense foods that nourish and support your body. Treats can be added in addition to your meal plan for the enjoyment and balance of life.