Makes 8 servings (1 cup per serving)
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 cups finely chopped onions
- 3 cloves chopped garlic
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground pepper
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, diced
- 3 bell peppers, diced
- 4 medium tomatoes, quartered
- 1 cup water
- 5 tbsp creamy natural peanut butter, divided
- Heat coconut oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onions and cook until softened, about 4 – 5 minutes. Add garlic, salt, pepper and cayenne pepper. Cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add chicken and cook, stirring occasionally until chicken is cooked through and lightly browned, about 6 – 8 minutes. Add bell peppers, and cook, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, mashing tomatoes slightly with the back of a spoon, until slightly thickened, about 5 – 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and add 2 tbsp peanut butter. Simmer for 3 – 5 minutes.
- In a separate pan, cook the spinach. If using fresh spinach, wash thoroughly and add about 2 tbsp water to a saucepan with the spinach and cook over medium-low heat until spinach is wilted and tender. If using frozen spinach, cook according to package directions.
- Add remaining 3 tbsp peanut butter to the spinach and cook for 3 – 5 minutes. Serve the stew topped with the cooked spinach.
Nutritional analysis per serving: 270 calories, 10 g fat, 33 g protein, 11 g carbohydrate (8 g available carbohydrate), 3 g fibre, 287 mg sodium
My Viva Servings: 4 proteins, 3 vegetables, 1 fat