Makes 4 servings (1½ cups per serving)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 4 cups chopped peeled parsnips
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme (or 1 tsp dried thyme)
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup canned white kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 6 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Combine garlic, parsnips, onions, oil, salt and pepper in a roasting pan and toss gently to coat.
- Bake until parsnips are tender, about 40 – 50 minutes.
- Transfer cooked vegetable mixture to a food processor. Add beans, broth and lemon juice. Purée until smooth. Alternatively, add ingredients to a large pot and purée with an immersion blender.
- Heat soup in a large pot over medium heat until heated through.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with pumpkin seeds.
- Serve and enjoy!
Nutritional analysis per serving: 286 calories, 4 g fat, 9 g protein, 57 g carbohydrate (46 g available carbohydrate), 11 g fibre, 419 mg sodium
My Viva Servings: 3 grains, 1 protein, 2 vegetables, 1 fat