Makes 6 servings (1 cup per serving)
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 red or orange pepper, seeded and diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp.(or a pinch) saffron
- ¼ tsp. sweet paprika
- 1 ½ cups Arborio rice
- 700 mL low-sodium vegetable/seafood stock
- 1 kg. mixed frozen seafood (fish, prawns, calamari and mussels)
- 1 cup of sugar snap peas, trimmed and roughly chopped
- 2-3 Tbsp. fresh basil or cilantro, to garnish
- Fresh limes or lemons, cut into wedges to garnish
- Heat olive oil in a large frying pan. Add onion and bell pepper and cook over low heat for 2 minutes. Add garlic, tomatoes, saffron and paprika and cook for anther 3 minutes.
- Add the rice and stir well to make sure the rice is well coated. Add seafood stock and bring to a boil. Simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Add seafood and sugar snap peas and stir well. Cover and simmer for a further 10-15 minutes. The dish is ready once the seafood is cooked through (the mussels will open) and the rice is tender.
- Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, fresh basil or cilantro and citrus wedges.
Nutritional analysis per serving: 408 calories, 10 g fat, 34.7 g protein, 42.2 g carbohydrate (39.1 g available carbohydrate), 3.1 g fibre, 140 mg sodium
My Viva Servings: 2 grain, 5 protein, 1 vegetable, 0 fruit, 1 fat, 0 dairy