Turkey and Sweet Potato Shepherd’s Pie
Makes 6 servings (2 cups per serving)
- 3 unpeeled medium potatoes, diced
- 1 unpeeled medium sweet potato, diced
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1½ cups finely chopped celery
- 2 cups finely chopped carrots
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 3 medium tomatoes, diced
- 3 cups diced turkey
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried basil
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups no-salt-added chicken broth, divided
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- Fresh chopped parsley, to garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cook potatoes and sweet potatoes in boiling salted water until tender. Drain well and mash. Set aside and cover to keep warm.
- Heat butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion, celery and carrots. Cook until onion is soft and translucent. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 – 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, turkey, thyme, basil, and salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Add 1¾ cups broth to pot. Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally, over medium-high heat until turkey is cooked through and vegetables are tender, about 5 – 10 minutes.
- In a bowl, whisk together remaining ¼ cup chicken broth and cornstarch.
- Slowly add cornstarch mixture to pot and cook, stirring, until mixture is thickened, about 4 – 5 minutes.
- Transfer turkey and vegetable mixture to a lightly greased 9 x 13 inch pan. Top with mashed potato mixture and spread evenly.
- Bake until heated through, about 15 – 20 minutes. If desired, broil for 2 – 3 minutes to lightly brown the potatoes. Garnish with fresh parsley and enjoy!
Nutritional Analysis per serving: 310 calories, 9 g fat, 21 g protein, 38 g carbohydrate (32g available carbohydrate), 6 g fibre, 466 mg sodium
My Viva servings: 2 grains, 3 proteins, 2 vegetables, 1 fat