Makes 12 servings (1 1/2 cup per serving)
- 1 tsp. canola oil
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 cup red peppers, diced
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 Tbsp. cumin
- 2 tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. cayenne powder
- 1 can low-sodium diced tomatoes
- 1 can low-sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
- Heat oil in a large pot on medium-high heat.
- Add turkey and onions. Cook until turkey is fully cooked through.
- Add carrots, celery, peppers, mushrooms, garlic, chili powder, cumin, oregano, and pepper. Allow to cook until vegetables begin to soften.
- Add the can of tomatoes, bring to a boil then reduce heat. Allow to simmer for 20 minutes.
- Stir in the black beans and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
Nutritional analysis per serving: 166 calories, 5 g fat, 15 g protein, 16 g carbohydrate (10 g available carbohydrate), 6 g fibre, 95 mg sodium
My Viva Servings: 0 grain, 2 protein, 2 vegetable, 0 fruit, 0 fat, 0 dairy
- You may wish to have more or less chili powder, depending on the kind you use. We used a chipotle powder that is very strong.
- If you can find fire-roasted tomatoes, use them. They give an incredible flavour.
- This recipe could also be done in a slow cooker or instant pot.
*Meal prep tip: portion into individual servings and freeze for up to 3 months. To reheat: thaw, and then microwave, or heat in a pot on the stove.