Makes 6 servings (1 1/2 cups per serving)
- ¼ cup milk
- 2 slices of bread
- 1 lb. lean ground turkey
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- ½ tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 tsp. oregano
- ½ tsp. red pepper flakes
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- ½ cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1 tsp. dried parsley or 1 tbsp. fresh chopped
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 8 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 (15 oz.) can white beans
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1 zucchini, sliced
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 1 small lemon, sliced
- 4 cups roughly chopped Swiss chard
- Add milk to a large mixing bowl, then tear the bread into chunks and add to the milk to soak. Add the turkey, shallot, garlic, nutmeg, oregano, red pepper flakes, salt, cheese, parsley and egg. Gently mix with your fingers until the mixture is combined.
- Use a small scoop to form ½- to 1-inch meatballs and place on a cooking sheet. Set aside.
- Sauté onion in a pan on medium heat until translucent and starting to brown slightly. Remove from heat.
- Add the onion, broth, beans, carrots, and zucchini to a 5- to 7-quart slow cooker. Add the sliced lemon and sprigs of thyme into the slow cooker to infuse the chicken broth.
- Add the meatballs and cover. Cook on low for about 4 hours or until the meatballs float to the surface.
- About 3.5 hours into the cooking, stir in the swiss chard. Cover and let cook for time remaining.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
Nutritional analysis per serving: 237 calories, 6.5 g fat, 21.5 g protein, 23.2 g carbohydrate (17.6 g available carbohydrate), 5.6 g fibre, 378 mg sodium.
My Viva Servings: 1 grain, 3 protein, 2 vegetable, 0 fruit, 0 fat, 0 dairy