Makes 6 servings (1½ cups per serving)
- ¼ cup milk (1%)
- 2 slices bread, cut into cubes
- 1 lb. lean ground turkey
- ¼ cup finely chopped shallots
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp fresh ground pepper
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped parsley
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 tsp canola oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 8 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (540 mL) white kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- ¾ cup thinly sliced carrots
- 1½ cups sliced zucchini
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 1 small lemon, sliced
- 4 cups roughly chopped Swiss chard
- In a large bowl, combine milk and bread cubes. Let stand for 2 minutes, then add turkey, shallots, garlic, nutmeg, oregano, red pepper flakes, salt, pepper, cheese, parsley and egg. Stir just until combined. Do not overmix.
- Use a small scoop to form ½- to 1-inch meatballs and place on a baking sheet. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a small frypan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until softened and lightly browned, about 4 – 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Add cooked onions, broth, beans, carrots, zucchini, thyme and lemon slices to a 5- to 7-quart slow cooker.
- Add meatballs and cover. Cook on low until meatballs are cooked through, about 3½ hours.
- Stir in Swiss chard. Cover and continue cooking for 30 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
Nutritional analysis per serving: 237 calories, 7 g fat, 22 g protein, 23 g carbohydrate (18 g available carbohydrate), 6 g fibre, 378 mg sodium.
My Viva Servings: 1 grain, 3 proteins, 2 vegetables