Turmeric Lentil Soup
Makes 6 servings (1½ cups per serving)
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup diced turnip
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp turmeric
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 cup dry red lentils, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups no-salt-added vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 can (400 mL) coconut milk
- 1½ cups chopped spinach
- 1½ tbsp lime juice
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add onions and cook until starting to soften, about 2 – 3 minutes.
- Add carrots and celery and cook for 4 more minutes.
- Add turnip, garlic, salt, pepper, turmeric, ginger, cumin and oregano. Cook until fragrant, about 1 – 2 minutes.
- Add broth, water, and coconut milk. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 7 – 8 minutes.
- Add lentils and cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add spinach and lime juice. Stir until spinach is wilted.
- Serve and enjoy!
Nutritional analysis per serving: 189 calories, 4 g fat, 9 g protein, 31 g carbohydrate (25 g available carbohydrate), 6 g fibre, 721 mg sodium
My Viva Servings: 1 grain, 1 protein, 1 vegetable