Vegan Broccoli Cheese Soup
Makes 4 Servings (1½ cups per serving)
- 2 tsp olive oil, divided
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 cup cauliflower florets
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1½ cups broccoli florets (stems reserved and chopped)
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp fresh ground pepper
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring, until starting to soften, about 3 – 4 minutes.
- Add cauliflower, garlic and broccoli stems. Cook for 2 minutes, then add broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine broccoli florets with remaining 1 tsp oil and toss to coat. Transfer broccoli to a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Roast until tender and slightly crispy on the edges, about 10 – 15 minutes.
- Add salt, pepper, spinach, nutritional yeast and almond milk to soup and cook just until spinach has wilted, about 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Purée soup in batches in a blender. Alternatively, soup may be puréed using a handheld immersion blender.
- Return soup to medium-low heat and cook until thickened and heated through, about 4 – 5 minutes.
- Stir in roasted broccoli florets.
- Serve and enjoy!
Nutritional analysis per serving: 95 calories, 3 g fat, 5 g protein, 13 g carbohydrate (10 g available carbohydrate), 3 g fibre, 1045 mg sodium
My Viva Servings: 2 vegetables, 1 fat