Makes 8 servings
- 1 tsp canola oil
- 1 cup diced onions
- 1 cup diced peeled carrots
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced mushrooms
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 2 tsp dried sage
- 2 tsp dried parsley
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 3 cups no-salt-added vegetable broth, divided
- 2 cans (540 mL) lentils, drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups diced peeled russet potatoes
- ½ cup frozen peas
- ½ cup frozen corn
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- Heat oil in a large frypan over medium heat. Add onions, carrots and celery and cook, stirring, until starting to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and garlic and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add sage, parsley, thyme and basil and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Stir in 1 cup broth and bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Add lentils and cook, stirring occasionally, until sauce is thickened, about 10 – 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine remaining 2 cups broth, garlic powder, salt and potatoes in a large pot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes. Add water if necessary.
- Remove from heat and mash potatoes until smooth.
- Spread lentil mixture in the bottom of a lightly greased large baking dish.
- Sprinkle frozen peas and corn over mixture. Spread evenly with mashed potatoes.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake until lentil mixture is bubbly, about 30 minutes.
- Remove foil and broil until potatoes are lightly browned, about 10 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
Nutritional analysis per serving: 163 calories, 1 g fat, 7 g protein, 32 g carbohydrate (26 g available carbohydrate), 6 g fibre, 386 mg sodium
My Viva Plan Servings: 2 grains, 1 protein, 1 vegetable