Makes 4 servings (2 1/2 cups per serving)
- 2 large beets
- ¼ cup water
- Juice and zest of 1 navel orange
- Juice of ½ a lemon
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8 cups mixed greens
- 2 oz. feta cheese crumbles
- 2 Tbsp. finely chopped fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Trim the tops off the beets but leave the tails. Place beets in an oven-safe baking dish or pan with the ¼ cup of water. Cover and put in the oven.
- Test for doneness by inserting a sharp knife after 40 minutes. You should be able to smoothly insert the knife. They may take up to 1 hour to cook, depending on size.
- When they are done, let them cool a bit, then peel them (make sure to wear gloves to prevent dyeing your fingers pink). Cut them into rounds or chop into bite-sized pieces.
- Combine the orange juice, zest, lemon juice, olive oil, Dijon mustard, salt, and pepper in a small bowl. Pour over the sliced beets and mix.
- Serve warm or chilled over mixed greens with crumbled feta and fresh basil to garnish. Creates four servings.
Nutritional analysis per serving: 126 calories, 5.7 g fat, 5.0 g protein, 13.2 g carbohydrate (9.8 g available carbohydrate), 3.4 g fibre, 110 mg sodium
My Viva Servings: 1 grain, 0 protein, 2 vegetable, 0 fruit, 1 fat, 0 dairy