Loin pork cuts are leaner and processed compared to other cuts of pork used for bacon, deli meats, sausages, or more. At the store, choose cuts with the tough silver skin cut off and experiment with different preparation techniques, such as slow roasting, or grilling the pork loin! Try tasty pork loin kebabs in a spicy dry-rub, barbequed with roasted vegetables for an easy summer meal.
Benefits of Pork Loin:
- Pork loin is a great source of protein. Like most other meats, its protein content is high, providing your body with all the amino acids you need to build and maintain muscle and other tissues.
- An excellent source of selenium! Selenium is an important nutrient that acts as an antioxidant in reactions in body cells.
- A good source of potassium, which is necessary for fluid and electrolyte balance, as well as nerve impulses and muscle function.
- A great source of phosphorus! Phosphorus is a very important mineral that your body needs for growth and energy, as well as to maintain your bones and teeth alongside calcium.
Nutritional Value of 2 oz. (60g) of cooked Pork Loin:
- 117 calories
- 0 g carbohydrate
- 0 g fibre
- 17.2 g protein
- 4.8 g fat
- 60% of daily selenium requirements
- 5% of daily potassium needs
Did You Know…
‘Loin’ refers to the part of the animal’s body that the cut of meat comes from, which is above the ribcage. This part of the animal is soft, moist and tender, which is why pork loin is such a flavourful, tasty cut of meat.