Makes 6 servings (1/2 cup per serving)
- 1 tsp canola oil
- ½ cup onion, diced
- 1½ cups mushrooms, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground pepper
- ½ cup barley, dry
- 1½ cups low-sodium vegetable stock
- Heat oil in a medium pot over medium heat.
- Add the onions and mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes. Add garlic, thyme, salt and pepper, and continue cooking for 2 minutes.
- Add barley and stir to combine. Add vegetable stock and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, covered, until barley is tender, about 8 - 10 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
Nutritional analysis per serving: 99 calories, 3 g fat, 3 g protein, 17 g carbohydrate (13 g available carbohydrate), 3 g fibre, 134 mg sodium
My Viva Servings: 1 grain, 1 vegetable