Makes 10 servings (1 cup per serving)
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup green pepper, diced
- 2 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1 can (796 ml) crushed tomato
- 1 Tbsp. oregano
- 2 Tbsp. basil
- 1 Tbsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. cayenne (optional)
- 1 tsp. sugar
- In a fry pan, brown beef until no longer pink. Drain the excess fat, and put into a large pot.
- Place carrots, celery and onion into a food processor and pulse until very small.
- Add the onion, carrots and celery mix to the beef and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, mushrooms and green peppers. Cook for another 5 minutes.
- Pour in the tomatoes, the oregano, basil, pepper, cayenne and sugar.
- Bring up to a boil then reduce heat and allow to simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Serve over pasta or zucchini noodles and enjoy!
*Meal prep tip: sauce can be frozen up to three months. Big batches of sauce like this are great to keep on hand for busy nights—all you need to do is make pasta the night of.
Nutritional analysis per serving: 117 calories, 4 g fat, 12 g protein, 9 g carbohydrate (7 g available carbohydrate), 2 g fibre, 138 mg sodium
My Viva Servings: 0 grains and starch, 1 proteins, 2 vegetables, 0 fruit, 0 fat, 0 dairy