Makes 10 servings (1 cup per serving)
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 1 cup roughly chopped carrot
- 1 cup roughly chopped celery
- 1 cup roughly chopped onion
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup diced green pepper
- 1 can (796 ml) crushed tomatoes
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped oregano
- 2 tbsp fresh chopped basil
- 1 tbsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp cayenne (optional)
- In a large pot, brown beef over medium heat until no longer pink. Drain excess fat.
- Meanwhile, place carrot, celery and onion in a food processor and pulse until finely chopped.
- Add vegetable mixture to the beef and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, mushrooms and green pepper. Continue cooking for another 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, oregano, basil, pepper, sugar and cayenne (if using).
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Serve over pasta or zucchini noodles and enjoy!
*Meal prep tip: sauce can be frozen for up to three months. Big batches of sauce like this are great to keep on hand for busy nights—all you need to do is cook the pasta.
Nutritional analysis per serving: 117 calories, 4 g fat, 12 g protein, 9 g carbohydrate (7 g available carbohydrate), 2 g fibre, 138 mg sodium
My Viva Plan® Servings: 1 protein, 2 vegetables