Makes 4 servings (½ cup per serving)
- 1 cup low sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 1 small shallot, minced
- ⅔ cup whole wheat couscous
- 4 dried Medjool dates, pitted and chopped
- ¼ cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped mint
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped flat-leaf parsley
- In a small pot, bring broth to a boil. Reduce heat to low and keep hot.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a non-stick sauté pan over medium heat. Add curry powder and orange zest and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add shallot and sauté until translucent, about 2 – 3 minutes. Remove pan from heat.
- Add couscous to sauté pan, then add broth. Cover and let sit for 5 minutes. (The pan should not be on the heat after the couscous and the liquid have been added. Only the heat from the stock is needed to cook the couscous.)
- Fluff the couscous with a fork and add dates, toasted almonds, mint and parsley. Stir to combine.
- Serve and enjoy!
Nutritional analysis per serving: 238 calories, 6 g fat, 6 g protein, 45 g carbohydrate (38 g available carbohydrate), 7 g fibre, 42 mg sodium
My Viva Plan® Servings: 2 grains, 1 fruit, 1 fat