Makes 4 servings (½ cup per serving)
- 1 cup vegetable or chicken stock (low sodium)
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. curry powder
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1 small shallot, minced
- ⅔ cup whole wheat couscous
- 4 Medjool dates, pitted and chopped
- ¼ cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1 Tbsp. fresh mint, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. flat leaf parsley, chopped
- In a small pot, bring stock to a boil.
- While stock is boiling, add olive oil to a non-stick sauté pan. Add curry powder and orange zest and cook for 1 minute.
- Add minced shallot to the oil, curry and orange zest. Sauté until shallot is translucent. Remove pan from heat.
- Add couscous to the sauté pan and pour in the heated stock. Cover and let sit for 5 minutes. (The pan should not be on the heat after the couscous and the liquid have been added: only the heat from the stock is needed to cook the couscous.)
- Fluff the couscous with a fork and add dates, toasted almonds, mint and parsley.
Nutritional analysis per serving: 238 calories, 6 g fat, 6 g protein, 45 g carbohydrate (38 g available carbohydrate), 7 g fibre, 42 mg sodium
My Viva Servings: 2 grain, 0 protein, 0 vegetable, 1 fruit, 1 fat, 0 dairy