Makes 2 servings (1 bowl per serving)
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1 globe eggplant, diced
- 2 shallots, sliced
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- ¼ tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh oregano (or 1 tsp. dried)
- 1½ cups low-salt tomato sauce
- 2 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Heat olive oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add diced eggplant and cook for about 5 minutes until eggplant starts to brown on one side. Add water if needed to prevent burning.
- Add shallots and season with ground pepper and red pepper flakes. If using dried oregano, add it as well. Reduce heat to medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until eggplant is tender.
- Add tomato sauce. If using fresh oregano, add it as well. Simmer 5-10 minutes until thickened slightly.
- Divide the ragout into two shallow oven-proof bowls. Make a well in the center of each bowl and crack in 1 egg into each well.
- Cover the bowls with tin foil and bake until egg white is set and yolk is soft, about 20-25 minutes.
Nutritional analysis per serving: 283 calories, 9.8 g fat, 14.6 g protein, 40.7 g carbohydrate (24.8 g available carbohydrate) 15.9 g fibre, 472 mg sodium
My Viva Servings: 0 grain, 1 protein, 1 fat, 5 vegetable, 0 fruit, 0 dairy