Makes 2 servings (1 bowl per serving)
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 medium eggplant, diced (about 5 cups)
- 2 shallots, sliced
- ¼ tsp freshly ground pepper
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh oregano (or 1 tsp dried)
- 1½ cups no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 2 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Heat olive oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add diced eggplant and cook until eggplant is lightly browned on one side, about 5 minutes. Add water if needed to prevent burning.
- Add shallots and season with ground pepper and red pepper flakes. If using dried oregano, add it as well. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, until eggplant is tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce. If using fresh oregano, add it as well. Simmer until sauce is thickened slightly, about 5-10 minutes.
- Divide ragout equally between two small shallow oven-proof dishes. Using the back of a spoon, make a well in the center of ragout and crack one egg into each well.
- Cover with tin foil and bake until egg white is set and yolk is soft, about 20-25 minutes.
Nutritional analysis per serving: 209 calories, 9 g fat, 11 g protein, 26 g carbohydrate (16 g available carbohydrate) 10 g fibre, 89 mg sodium
My Viva Plan® Servings: 1 protein, 1 fat, 5 vegetables