Makes 4 servings (2 cups per serving)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup diced red onion
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp cumin
- ⅛ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp cayenne (optional)
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 can (398 mL) no-salt-added chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1½ cups vegetable low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup couscous, dry
- ¼ cup fresh chopped parsley
- 1 cup spinach, chopped
- ¼ cup slivered almonds
- Heat oil in a medium pot over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and carrots and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and lightly browned, about 10 minutes.
- Add peppers, garlic, salt, paprika, coriander, turmeric, cumin, cinnamon and cayenne. Cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 3 – 5 minutes.
- Add peas, chickpeas and broth and bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat and add couscous. Cover and let sit until couscous is cooked through, about 5 – 7 minutes.
- Fluff with a fork, then stir in parsley and spinach. Sprinkle with almonds.
- Serve and enjoy!
Nutritional analysis per serving: 376 calories, 9 g fat, 13 g protein, 62 g carbohydrate (52 g available carbohydrate), 10 g fibre, 158 mg sodium
My Viva Servings: 2 grains, 1 protein, 1 vegetable, 1 fat