Makes 12 servings (1 serving per muffin)
- 1 cup of all-purpose flour (can substitute gluten-free all-purpose flour)
- ½ cup oat bran
- ⅓ cup whey isolate or vegan protein powder (can substitute skim milk powder)
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- 1 ½ tsp. cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. ground allspice
- ¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
- ¾ cup canned pure pumpkin puree
- ¾ cup applesauce
- ¾ cup 1% milk (can substitute milk-alternative beverage)
- ½ cup egg whites
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ¼ cup roasted pumpkin seeds
- ¼ cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat 12 cup muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray or coconut oil.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, oat bran, protein powder, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg and cloves; set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix pumpkin puree, applesauce, milk, egg whites, and vanilla together until well combined and smooth.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Fold in pumpkin seeds and chocolate chips. Let batter sit two minutes to thicken.
- Divide batter evenly into greased muffin cups and bake 18-23 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool for 10 minutes, then remove muffins from tin and place on wire rack to cool completely. Enjoy!
Nutritional analysis per serving: 116 calories, 3.2 g fat, 6.6 g protein, 17.6 g carbohydrate (15.5 g available carbohydrate), 2.1 g fibre, 117 mg sodium
My Viva Servings: 1 grain, 1 protein, 0 vegetable, 0 fruit, 0 fat, 0 dairy