Makes 12 servings (1 serving per muffin)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (or gluten-free flour blend)
- ½ cup oat bran
- ⅓ cup whey protein isolate or vegan protein powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground allspice
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- ¾ cup canned unsweetened pumpkin purée
- ¾ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ¾ cup milk (1%)
- ½ cup large egg whites
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup toasted pumpkin seeds
- ¼ cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, oat bran, protein powder, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg and cloves. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together pumpkin purée, applesauce, milk, egg whites and vanilla until smooth.
- Add pumpkin mixture to flour mixture and stir until just combined. Fold in pumpkin seeds and chocolate chips. Set aside and let batter sit two minutes to thicken.
- Spoon batter into greased or paper-lined muffin cups and bake until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, about 18 – 23 minutes.
- Allow muffins to cool in pan for 10 minutes, then remove muffins from tin and place on wire rack to cool completely. Enjoy!
Nutritional analysis per serving: 116 calories, 3 g fat, 7 g protein, 18 g carbohydrate (16 g available carbohydrate), 2 g fibre, 117 mg sodium
My Viva Servings: 1 grain, 1 protein