Makes 12 servings (1 muffin per serving)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup spelt flour (see note)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- 1 cup Red River cereal
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ cup plain yogurt
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp grated lemon zest
- 2 cups Saskatoon berries (or berries of your choice)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine flours, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, Red River cereal and salt in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, yogurt, oil, vanilla and lemon zest.
- Add yogurt mixture to flour mixture and stir just until combined. Do not overmix. Gently fold in Saskatoon berries.
- Spoon batter into paper-lined muffin cups, filling to the top. (Tip: Use an ice-cream scoop with a release to help portion muffins.) Bake until toothpick instered in centres comes out clean, about 30 – 40 minutes.
Note: If you are unable to find spelt flour, you may substitute 1 cup all-purpose flour.
Nutritional analysis per serving: 257 calories, 7 g fat, 5 g protein, 36 g carbohydrate (34 g of available carbohydrate), 2 g fibre, 192 mg sodium
My Viva Servings: 2 grains