Makes 8 servings (3 cloves per serving)
- 3 whole heads garlic
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Remove papery outer layer from garlic bulbs and discard. Trim off about ¼ inch from the top of each whole head of garlic.
- Place each head of garlic with the cut side up on a piece of aluminum foil and drizzle with olive oil. Twist top of foil to enclose each head tightly.
- Roast until soft, about 30 – 45 minutes.
- Set aside to cool. Once cool enough to handle, gently squeeze softened garlic from whole garlic heads.
This roasted garlic (used as a spread) is simple to make and can be prepared ahead of time prior to putting together your lunch meal. Here are some examples of how to use it in a meal:
- Mix with plain Greek yogurt and fresh herbs for a veggie dip
- Toss with steamed or roasted vegetables
- Spread onto a turkey/chicken/tuna sandwich to add more flavour
- Mix into pasta dishes or pasta salad and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese
Nutritional analysis per serving: 62 calories, 5 g fat, 1 g protein, 4 g carbohydrate, 0 g fiber, 2 mg sodium
My Viva Servings: 1 fat