Makes 8 servings (3 meatballs per serving)
For the meatballs:
- 1 slice bread, torn into pieces
- ¼ cup milk (1%)
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp fresh ground black pepper
- ½ cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 tbsp canola oil
For the marinara sauce:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 4 large ripe tomatoes, roughly chopped
- ½ cup tomato paste
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp sweet smoked Spanish paprika
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp fresh ground pepper
- ½ tsp chili flakes
- Place torn bread in a small bowl and add milk. Stir to combine and set aside for 5 minutes. Mash mixture with a fork.
- In a medium bowl combine ground beef, soaked bread, egg, parsley, garlic, salt and pepper. Stir to combine. Refrigerate for 1 hour (or up to 4 hours).
- Using a spoon or a portion scoop, shape meat mixture into 1 inch balls. Roll meatballs in bread crumbs until evenly coated.
- Heat canola oil in a medium frypan over medium-high heat. Add meatballs and cook until browned on all sides, about 4 – 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- To make the marinara sauce, heat olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add tomatoes and stir to combine. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until tomatoes are softened, about 5 – 6 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Using an immersion blender, purée tomatoes until smooth (alternatively, you may use a fork or a potato masher).
- Add tomato paste, honey, smoked paprika, salt, pepper, and chili flakes. Stir to combine.
- Add sauce to meatballs. Return frypan to low heat and simmer until meatballs are thoroughly cooked, about 10 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
Nutritional analysis per serving: 187 calories, 12 g fat, 9 g protein, 11 g carbohydrate (9 g available carbohydrate), 2 g fibre, 355 mg sodium
My Viva Servings: 1 protein, 1 fat, 1 vegetable