Makes 8 servings (3 meatballs per serving)
For the meatballs:
- 1 lb. lean ground beef (can use mix of lean ground beef and pork)
- 1 slice bread, soaked in about ¼ cup of milk
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- Approx. ½ cup dried bread crumbs (to roll meat balls in)
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
For the marinara sauce:
- 2 cloves garlic, finely diced
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 4 very ripe large tomatoes
- ½ cup tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp. honey
- 1 tsp. sweet smoked Spanish paprika
- ½ tsp. salt, or to taste
- ½ tsp. pepper
- ½ tsp. dried chili flakes
- Combine ground beef, soaked bread, egg, parsley, garlic, salt and pepper together in a bowl, and mix. Make sure that bread dissolves evenly in the mixture. Let rest in the fridge for at least half an hour.
- After the meat has rested, shape into small meatballs (try using an ice cream scoop!). Roll each meatball in the bread crumbs so that they are covered evenly from all sides.
- Brown meatballs in vegetable oil in a frying pan over medium high heat. Brown all sides of each meatball, then put aside.
- To make the marinara sauce, fry garlic in a sauce pan in olive oil until soft, about 30 seconds.
- Slice each tomato into 4 pieces and add to the sauce pan. Let simmer on low heat until tomatoes are soft. Pour into a medium-sized bowl.
- Use a stick blender to make tomatoes into puree. Add tomato paste, honey, smoked paprika, salt, pepper, and chili flakes. (Add more or less spice as per individual taste preference.)
- Add the meatballs into the sauce and return to the frying pan over the stove. Let simmer for on low heat until meatballs are cooked all the way through.
Nutritional analysis per serving: 187 calories, 12 g fat, 9.3 g protein, 11.3 g carbohydrate (9.5 g available carbohydrate), 1.8 g fibre, 355 mg sodium
My Viva Servings: 0 grain, 1 protein, 1 fat, 1 vegetable, 0 fruit, 0 dairy