Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble
Serves 8 (¾ cup per serving)
- ¼ cup old fashioned oats
- ¼ cup wheat germ
- 4 tbsp ground almonds
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 3 tbsp softened unsalted butter
- 4 cups chopped rhubarb
- 4 cups chopped strawberries
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup orange juice
- Zest of 1 orange
- ½ tsp ground cardamom
- 3 tbsp chia seeds, ground (see note)
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Add oats, wheat germ, almonds, brown sugar and salt to a medium bowl. Stir to combine.
- Add butter and mix with fingertips until mixture is crumbly.
- To prepare fruit filling, add rhubarb, strawberries, sugar, orange juice, orange zest, cardamom and chia seeds to a large bowl. Stir to combine.
- Transfer fruit mixture to a greased 8 or 12 cup baking dish. Sprinkle evenly with crumb topping. Bake until filling is bubbly and topping is lightly browned, about 45 minutes. If topping begins to get too brown, cover with foil.
- Allow to cool slightly before serving.
Note: It is not necessary to grind the chia seeds; however, we find it provides a better texture (and eliminates the dreaded chia seeds stuck in your teeth).
Nutritional analysis per serving: 202 calories, 8 g fat, 4 g protein, 32 g carbohydrate (27 g available carbohydrate), 5 g fibre, 78 mg sodium
My Viva Servings: Treats are just as the name suggests; they are a treat for you and meant to be enjoyed mindfully. We want most of your calories to come from nutrient-dense foods that nourish and support your body. Treats can be added in addition to your meal plan for the enjoyment and balance of life.