Makes 8 servings (2 cups per serving)
- 1 tsp canola oil
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- ½ cup diced onion
- ½ cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can tomato paste
- 1 can (540 mL) no-salt-added black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (341 mL) kernel corn, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 cup shredded lettuce
- 1 cup diced tomato
- 1 avocado, sliced
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 lime, cut eight wedges
- Heat oil in a pan over medium-high heat.
- Add turkey and cook until no longer pink. Add flour, cumin, garlic powder, chili powder and oregano. Stir to combine.
- Add peppers and onions and cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add broth and tomato paste and cook until sauce is slightly thickened, about 3 – 4 minutes.
- Stir in beans and corn, and cook until heated through.
- Serve over brown rice. Top with lettuce, tomatoes, avocado, cheese and lime wedges.
- Serve and enjoy!
Nutritional analysis per serving: 322 calories, 14 g fat, 24 g protein, 27 g carbohydrate (21 g available carbohydrate), 6 g fibre, 127 mg sodium
My Viva Servings: 1 grain, 3 proteins, 1 vegetable, 1 fat