Makes 6 servings (1 ⅔ cups per serving)
- 454 grams lean ground turkey
- 1 Tbsp. canola oil
- ½ medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, diced
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 300 grams fresh or frozen butternut squash, cubed
- 2 (398 ml) cans diced tomatoes, unsalted
- 1 (398 ml) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- In a large pot on medium-high heat, sauté turkey in canola oil until no longer pink. Stir while cooking to break up the turkey.
- Add onion, red pepper, celery, garlic, chili powder, thyme, paprika, onion powder, salt and pepper. Sauté, stirring occasionally, until vegetables have softened.
- Stir in butternut squash, tomatoes and beans. Bring to a simmer and reduce heat to medium-low.
- Simmer at least one hour, stirring occasionally. The longer the chili simmers, the more the flavours will develop.
- Serve as six portions and enjoy! Optional: garnish with green onion, shredded cheese and a dollop of sour cream.
*Meal prep tip: portion into individual servings and freeze for up to 3 months. To reheat: thaw, and then microwave, or heat in a pot on the stove.
Nutritional analysis per serving: 285 calories, 9.5 g fat, 21.6 g protein, 30.2 g carbohydrate (22.2 g available carbohydrate), 7.0 g fibre, 419 mg sodium
My Viva Servings: 1 grain, 3 protein, 2 vegetable, 0 fruit, 0 fat, 0 dairy