Makes 6 servings (1⅔ cups per serving)
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1 lb. lean ground turkey
- ½ cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- ½ cup diced celery
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1½ tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 2 cups diced peeled butternut squash
- 2 cans (398 mL) no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 1 can (398 mL) kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add turkey and cook, stirring to break up meat, until thoroughly cooked.
- Add onion, red pepper, celery, garlic, chili powder, thyme, paprika, onion powder, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are slightly softened, about 3 – 4 minutes.
- Stir in butternut squash, tomatoes and beans.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, for at least 1 hour.
- Serve and enjoy! Optional: garnish with green onion, shredded cheese and a dollop of sour cream.
*Meal prep tip: portion into individual servings and freeze for up to 3 months. To reheat: thaw in the refrigerator, then reheat in the microwave or in a pot on the stove.
Nutritional analysis per serving: 285 calories, 10 g fat, 22 g protein, 30 g carbohydrate (22 g available carbohydrate), 7 g fibre, 419 mg sodium
My Viva Servings: 1 grain, 3 proteins, 2 vegetables