Very Berry Muffins
Makes 12 muffins (1 muffin per serving)
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 medium bananas, mashed
- ½ cup pure maple syrup
- ⅓ cup low fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp melted butter
- ½ cup milk (1%)
- 1½ cups frozen mixed small berries, divided (see note)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine bananas, maple syrup, yogurt, egg, vanilla, and butter. Whisk well to combine.
- Alternate adding flour mixture and milk to banana mixture. Stir gently just until combined. Fold in 1 cup frozen berries.
- Spoon batter into lightly greased or paper-lined muffin cups and top with remaining ½ cup frozen berries, dividing equally.
- Bake until toothpick inserted in centres comes out clean for 25-30 minutes.
- Transfer muffins to a wire rack to cool. Serve and enjoy!
*Note: Cut any large berries into smaller pieces (the size of blueberries) to ensure even cooking.
Nutritional analysis per serving: 150 calories, 2 g fat, 4 g protein, 30 g carbohydrate (27 g available carbohydrate), 3 g fibre, 171 mg sodium
My Viva Servings: 2 grains